The Somerville Homeless Coalition is always looking for people to help provide our clients with food and toiletries, as well as household items. It’s one of the easiest and most effective ways to help those in need in our community. When you organize a drive for the Somerville Homeless Coalition, you help our clients to meet their basic needs.
Thank you for making a difference in the lives of our clients.
For Food, Toiletries, and Personal/Household item lists, please see below.
6 Steps to Hosting Your Own Drive:
1) Get a list of needed items — see below or print list from links above.
2) Schedule a day and time to drop off the collected items to our office. E-mail our Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (617) 623-6111 to make arrangements.
*Sorry, we do not have the resources to do pick-ups.
3) Decide on where you would like to hold your item drive; in your neighborhood? At your workplace? Through your congregation?
4) Decide how long you want to hold a drive for and determine the dates on which you would like the drive to start and end. Make sure to let people know the hours during which they can donate.
5) Advertise the drive; through e-mail or group listserves, Facebook, Twitter, posters, and word of mouth. Let people know what items are needed, the dates the drive will be held, the hours during which they can donate, and where they can drop off their items. Tag the Somerville Homeless Coalition on Facebook posts and Tweets and we will re-post and re-tweet to help promote your drive.
6) At the end of the drive, thank everyone who contributed items (or their time).
Thank you for holding a drive on our behalf! Your contribution of items is much appreciated!
Items We Need
- Protein or fruit bars
- Dry cereal or granola
- Peanut butter
- Dried fruit
- Canned juices
- Non-perishable pasteurized milk
- Food for infants/toddlers
- Baby food
- Canned meat & fish
- Canned fruit & 100% fruit juice
- Canned pasta, stew, chili, hearty soup
- Canned tomatoes, vegetables, pasta sauce
- Pasta, white & brown rice, dried beans
- Cold cereal, oatmeal, pancake mix
- Powered or evaporated milk, Parmalat
- Toilet paper & paper towels
*Please include low-sugar and low-sodium foods for special needs population.
Toiletries: All items should be new.
- Razors & shaving cream
- Bars of soap, bottles of body wash
- Face cloths
- Tampons/pads/panty liners
- Alcohol-free mouthwash
Personal and household items: All items should be new.
- Men and women’s underwear—new and in packaging
- Socks, new and in packaging
- Bras, new and in packaging
- Twin/full/queen flat and fitted sheets, new
- Bath towels
- Diapers, pull-ups
- Pillow cases
- Liquid dish soap
- Laundry detergent
- Personal packets of tissues
- Moist wipes
- Baby wipes
- Charlie Cards
- Gift cards (Target, CVS, etc.)
*Sample-size are accepted.
We’re sorry, but we cannot accept baby formula, frozen or glass-encased items.